My lord, Sisyphus defies comparison. I don’t think I have laughed this much while watching a serious drama. At least I haven’t for a long time. I didn’t even laugh this much for Mr. Queen, and that show was hilarious. For that, I thank Sisyphus. Alright, let me try and pull it together so that I can actually recap this drama and try and make some sense out of what I watched.
Warning: lots of sarcasm ahead.
SISYPHUS KDRAMA RECAP EPISODE 4
We open with Seo-hae browsing around the future with her breathing mask on. She sees a photo of BTS and thinks she hit the jackpot in this store. So she takes off her mask as if everything is fine now, and starts walking around Seoul.
Seoul has plants everywhere even though they made it seem like nothing can grow in the future. She sees a car that has a melted man inside it. This the only place with a melted person, otherwise there are no people around whatsoever. So sucks to be that guy who didn’t get the memo to leave the city.
She takes his wallet, makes it rain with the cash, and keeps the coins.
After that, she pulls out a tourist map and starts to mark things around the city. She tries to work a toy machine that should run on electricity so of course it doesn’t work. She shoots out the window and takes the toys then she tells her father on a walkie talkie that she is about to meet up with him.
But then a hummer shows up with two soldiers. She hides from them and luckily escapes. The soldiers leave a post that says “UPLOADER: If you can take your time back, what would you do?”
We cut back to the warehouse that the uploader downloaded to. Tae-sool can’t believe it and throws up. A lot of things happen, but what is important is that Tae-sool rescues the uploader so that the Asia Market people won’t sedate him and take him with them. They run off when the Immigration people show up.
I just have to mention that the shot gun kid points his shotgun everywhere but at the person it should be at.
The immigration people give chase to Tae-sool, Seo-hae, and the downloader.
Seo-hae fights them off because they don’t use their guns for some reason. Meanwhile, Tae-sool tries to start a car using his cell phone. He MacGyvers it by making an app.
He succeeds and tells Seo-hae, lets go! But Seo-hae is still fighting the men. The men hit her in her backpack, which somehow causes tremendous pain for Seo-hae so she yells to Tae-sool to RUN RUN GO GO! He takes off and starts driving. The immigration people mask Seo-hae and take her away in their car.
She wakes up (or maybe was never passed out?) in the car and is, for some reason, handcuffed with a scarf. The immigration guy pulls out his gun and threatens her with it but Tae-sool T-bones their van with his hijacked car. The scarf handcuffs fly off Seo-hae and Tae-sool opens the door in slow motion.
Seo-hae and Tae-sool decide to argue about the situation and then they go off hand in the destroyed car that just rammed into the van.
We cut to another scene where we see the uploader in the present. He is a cop. We also see Seo-hae’s father who is also a cop. They work together and go to a case where a naked man was seen.
The young cop finds the naked man who is missing an arm. He handcuffs him to a post. But the naked man’s arm grows back so he strangles the cop with it. The cop is about to be strangled to death, but the immigration officers show up and save the day. They take them both away.
Cut to another scene with Eddie Kim, the immigration officer, and the Board of Directors president. Eddie said he got a text from Tae-sool with his location. The immigration guy asks if he really talked to him? really? Check your messages. So Eddie checks his messages and all his messages are gone. There are none. Literally. Not from his mama or girlfriend or anyone. But he goes along with it.
The immigration officer walks off, problem solved.
Meanwhile, Tae-sool, Seo-hae, and the downloaded guy go to the downloaded guys house. All this guy wants to do is feed his mother ramen. He was really strict with her and didn’t let her eat what she wanted because she had diabetes. So now he wants her to eat what she wants. That is his regret. If they let him feed his mother ramen then he will give Tae-sool the address to where his brother is.
So the man feeds his mom ramen and it looks like she dies right afterwards? Tae-sool and Seo-hae are sitting in the living room waiting for him to come back out. The guy comes back out and gives him the address, but he tells him not to go to the second floor or the library. He also tells Seo-hae not to go outside the car because you have a sniper. He apologizes for what he did and says he worked for immigration services and gave her a hard time.
The address is to the Board of Director’s house
Outside, the immigration services have shown up. But we all know they are completely inept. They use a bomb to break the lock on the weakest door ever and come inside. Seo-hae rolls her mist bomb so the guys just start shooting everywhere. Literally everywhere. They are shooting each other! But none of them dies or even gets shot.
She appears as a ghost and knows where they are in the mist. She starts to take them out one by one. Even though these guys have lots of high tech items, they use a good old fashioned 1980s fan to blow all the smoke away.
But Tae-sool has MacGyvered a cola bomb, which would be fine, but this is the house of a diabetic whose son would not even let her eat ramen. Anywho, they have coke bottles. He makes a flying coke bottle and lets it fly to hit the men. His aim is perfect. The coke bottle knock out the men who are in full protective gear. It is ridiculous and fabulous.
The last man keeps shooting at Tae-sool and Seo-hae, but the refrigerator is bullet proof so they are fine. He lets the last coke fly which hits the man in the head and knocks him out. The download guy comes out from his mothers room, super shot up and gives them the keys to his car. He asks for forgiveness no matter what he dies. He dies. They jump through the window and run away.
The fifty other men outside are still waiting outside. They have the road blocked, but Tae-sool and Seo-hae are able to easily drive away because their road isn’t blocked. los, the look out people are looking the other way and don’t even notice them driving a bright red car by them.
But from the CCTV, the headquarters team is able to spot Seo-hae and Tae-wool running away. They identify Seo-hae as a person from the future and send three drones after them.
What follows is the most gloriously ridiculous drone chase scene in the history of cinema. You just have to watch it. The drone headquarters guys have joysticks and serious expressions and fly the drone all around. The little drones have guns on them and shoot at the car through the neighborhood. Forget not wanting the people to know you have guns.
The drone flying through windows, through houses, even though they can just fly a bit higher in the air to find the car from a birds eye view. Lots of bullets are shot. I mean lots.
But, the drones are not much smarter than the immigration officers. One of them runs itself into a pole. The other hits the car door and breaks easily (even though it could literally break through house windows. And finally, the last drone is face to face with our duo, but does not shoot because it is very important for Seo-hae to tell the drone “Get Lost” and pull out her gun to shoot it.
The immigration people call the cops to barricade a bridge.
But the cops barricade the wrong side of the bridge so Tae-sool and Seo-hae just drive on. The police are like, what’s going on here?
The bridge ends on the Han river. Tae-sool and Seo-hae have to get out of the car and try and escape. So Tae-sool calculates their weight and angle of jump and clothing and says that from this height, they will fall 60 meters inside the Han river. People of Earth, the Han river is only 15 meters deep at its deepest location.
Anywho, they jump off the bridge. From Tae-sool’s calculations, they must maintain holding hands so that they don’t drop that deep into the water and get swept away by the current. But, when they jump, Seo-hae gets shot in the arm so she lets go of Tae-sool. They fall, the way they fall is hilarious, and hit the water.
Seo-hae sinks deeply into the river. So deep, Like Mr. Queen lake deep. her diary falls out of her backpack and starts to sink as well.
We hear a voiceover of her diary entry which is a birthday entry she wrote to herself. She told herself, to go to the past and save Tae-sool’s life to stop the war. You can do it!
Seo-hae keeps sinking. When she opens her eyes, she see Tae-sool swimming like a hundred feet to come get her.
This show is the messiest mess of all messes to have ever messed, and it is hilarious to watch. I am so happy! How in the world can they make a show as hilarious as this show? I mean, the basics are all wrong on top of everything else!
Though I am having a fun time watching it because I am laughing so hard at how ridiculous it is. There are so many inconsistencies and just poor decision in this show that it makes me wonder if it is done on purpose? Everyone, I am looking forward to next week’s episode. I have never had so much fun laughing with a drama ever.
Everything wrong with this particular episode of Sisyphus compiled by a person on DC Inside (we added a few as well, feel free to add your own in the comments):
- She wanders around in the dangerous future with her bluetooth headphones and listening to music like this is a picnic. She also takes off her mask and walks around like the air is amazing to breath. Similarly, the air looks fine to breath.
- Plants are growing everywhere in this uninhabitable future.
- The military men can’t see her hiding
- The future man has a lot of ramen in his case when there is no food in the future????
- In the first episode, the immigration service storms into Sun’s house with guns and shoot everywhere, but this time they don’t use guns when they fight in the street because “people are watching”
- Han Tae-sool can’t stop explaining things even in life and death situations. “I will log in to the homepage and make an app to start this car…”
- The refrigerator is bullet proof
- Seo-hae’s backpack is magical and has everything they need inside it even though it looks empty all the time. However, despite all those things inside it, she can feel tremendous pain whenever it is hit.
- The electrical car Tae-sool steals starts with a VROOOM
- There are no other immigration cars following Seo-hae and the Immigration guy even though he is carrying Seo-hae who is supposedly this really important person. But they had tons of cars at that house. Where did all those cars and officers go?
- The car is totaled but no blood is shed from anyone
- Did the airbag even go off?
- Her handcuffs are a scarf that fell off
- Tae-sool and Seo-hae have dumb bickering conversations in serious moments where they need to hurry and leave. Like when they crashed into a government car and were held at gunpoint. “You left me!” “You told me to leave!” “That doesn’t mean you should!” “You also left!” “Okay, we are the same, forget it!”
- The car that Tae-sool stole is an expensive Kia K9, which turns into an old generation K7 when it is crashed, and then back into a K9 when they drive off. Also, the car is not as damaged as it was when they first crashed it.
- All the text messages are erased in Eddies phone. Every one of them. He only cares about Tae-sool’s messages.
- The policemen who checked the naked man case, only sent the partner to check, they are both supposed to go check together.
- The smoke bomb slowly rolls to them, everyone watches it instead of trying to throw it away.
- After the smoke bomb goes off, the men do not know where anyone is and shoot everywhere. They stop shooting then start firing again. Only after that, the boss tells them to stop because they want them alive. But then, after that, they shoot them up in the car with the drones.
- Also, why is so much coke in that diabetic woman’s house?
- They wasted so much time making a cola missile. It would be better to throw it. Also, he had to explain everything about how he is making it. Plus, the the police are in full protective gear, but get knocked out with the cola
- The immigration service people wait until the first team all die, then the next team goes in.
- Tae-sool drives in reverse and looks to the front
- Tae-sool shakes the steering wheel handle even though are in a straightaway
- A lot of people are watching yet they use a drone and shoot everywhere in the town. After they shoot everywhere in the neighborhood the boss yells, “Are you going to shoot up everywhere!” But the boss is the one that told them to shoot up everywhere.
- They block the opposite side of the bridge.
- Tae-sool calculates they will fall 60 meters into the water. The Han river is only 15 meters deep at its deepest location